Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

dislike

Gardner Hill Campground

Campground Details: Gardner Hill Campground
State: New York Campgrounds

Gardner Hill Campground Lowman NY soon to be “The Campground”
  • CampingBotCampingBot June 2011
    Originally posted in the old review system on 06/26/2011 by Hairychapin

My group camped at Gardner Hill for two straight years. First, I must comment on the positive aspects of this camp ground.. The view is spectacular, there is none better anywhere.
    What is negative about Gardner Hill? Everything else. The one reason we went to was because it had a pool. We were informed that it would be fully operational by the time we arrived. It was not. The Playground consists of 4 pieces of dangerous pre 1950’s equipment that is severe disrepair. The bathhouse is a barely functional facility with rat holes in the walls, cracked uneven floors, and tiny primitive showers. There is not even a mirror in the ladies room. The overall condition of the campground is poor. Lawns are largely unmowed, and the facility is largely ignored. The Recreation Hall is packed full of items that would not sell at a garage sale. Gardner Hill advertises free pool and table tennis, but there is no room to play either. The entry goes past house trailers whose small yards are packed with junk. The fishing pond is a small swamp that is a mosquito breeding ground with no fish. I have been camping for all of my 49 years, and I have never seen a camp run as shoddily as Gardner Hill. Our second year saw none of the promised improvements that made that lead us to return. The pool was non functional again, the Rec. Hall was still a wreck hall. A storm had hit the camp the day before our arrival, and the owners were struggling to clean up because they didn’t have a running chainsaw. The power was out, but the owners waited for two full days to repair, then fire up their generator to provide water. This was followed by an attempt to charge us for services not provided, and a threat of legal action if we damaged their lawn while pulling out. I can’t help but think how easy it would be for this to be a really terrific camp if only it were managed correctly.
    Overall on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst possible score, I would give this camp a rating of 1. Other than the God given view for the ages Gardner Hill (or its proposed new name “The Campground”) has no redeeming qualities.