Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google

Sign In Apply for Membership

Picacho State Recreation Area

Picacho SRA
  • CampingBotCampingBot January 2011
    Originally posted in the old review system on 01/01/2010 by mglindo

Haven't been there for a few years but have been there twice. First time there the weather was very warm but not intolerable. Second time it was around 110-115 degrees during the day and upper 90s at night. Whew! Can't remember what the time of the year it was. Late fall I believe. Learned to handle the heat with a lawn chair in the water on the boat ramp. Water was cold so it was a heavenly match. The mosquitoes was horrible in the evening. Mosquito repellent is a must, even spray your clothes. When I didn't do that I got bit through my t-shirt. The trick was to be in your RV or tent at dusk or else. The road lives up to its reputation. I have a Class C motorhome 28 foot. It took about two hours for the trip from Winterhaven. The road was very rough and washboard like and the vibration was very bad unless you went very slow. Two spots in particular were very sandy and deep enough where I was afraid I might get stuck. I made it though and I hope it has been remedied. Good luck if it haven't. I didn't have a boat but I did catch a catfish off the bank. Fast current was not expected to my surprise. A great place to go and the solar shower was a great unexpected pleasure. When I camped there, cell phone reception was nil unless one climbed up some small peaks above the campground. Be careful of snakes and falling though. One recollection of one of my climbs though was of seeing a helicopter cruising slightly above the river and my being able to look down on them from where I sat up on the peak. Altogether a great camping trip.