About: Camano Island State Park is a 134-acre camping park with 6,700 feet of rocky shoreline and beach. The park provides sweeping views of the surrounding mountains and offers opportunities for shellfish harvesting.
Earliest inhabitants of Camano Island were the Kikalos and Snohomish Indians, who used the island for a summer dwelling while gathering seafood and berries. They named it "Kal-lut-chin," meaning "land jutting into a bay." The island was renamed for Jacinto Caamaño, a Spanish explorer.
The first European settlers came to the island in 1855 and began extensive logging operations. Farmers came later and developed the area agriculturally.
After the land was designated for use as a park in 1949, the initial development was accomplished in a single day by nearly 900 volunteers from Stanwood and Camano Island. The park celebrated its 50th birthday in July, 1999.
Currently there are no reviews of this campground.